OCTAGON ROUNDS THE BASES FOR THE 2019 MLB ALL STAR GAME WITH A COMPREHENSIVE COLLECTION OF MARKETING AND CLIENT ENGAGEMENT PROGRAMSPress Release, Major League Baseball
STAMFORD, CONN. – July 9, 2019 - Octagon, the worldwide sports and entertainment marketing leader, is helping clients Mastercard, Bank of America, MGM, and Doosan celebrate the 2019 Major League Baseball All Star Game, with a comprehensive collection of marketing and engagement programs that surround the iconic event. The diverse assembly of efforts include local and national brand activations, influencer campaigns, as well as other unique marketing extensions in and around Progressive Field, in Cleveland, Ohio.
In addition, Octagon represents five MLB players selected to the 2019 All Star Game, including Cleveland Indians first baseman Carlos Santana, Minnesota Twins short stop Jorge Polanco, Miami Marlins pitcherSandy Alcantara, New York Yankees infielder Gleyber Torres, and Chicago Cubs catcher Wilson Contreras, as well as a number of other baseball icons participating in events surrounding the game.
Octagon is once again working with longtime client Mastercard, the presenting sponsor of the 2019 MLB All Star Game, to help launch the company’s annual efforts in support of the Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) dining program, which helps fund the development of groundbreaking cancer research. A staple of Mastercard’s cause marketing efforts tied to Major League Baseball each season, the 21-year MLB sponsor has pledged 4 million dollars to Stand Up To Cancer this year, and is helping amplify fan awareness and support for the organization.
Mastercard’s Stand Up To Cancer and MLB All Star marketing efforts will feature, TV, digital, social media, and on-site extensions including:
- Major League Baseball’s annual SU2C’s placard moment, which will occur after the 5th inning of Tuesday night’s game, when all fans in attendance at Progressive Field will stand up - and stand united - in the fight against cancer.
- Live on-air interviews during FOX Sports’ national broadcast of the game, featuring Mastercard ambassadors and MLB All Star Game managers Alex Cora and Dave Roberts, who will speak about the SU2C program, and Mastercard’s efforts towards the cause.
In addition, this year’s 90th midsummer baseball classic will serve as a platform for Mastercard to further its position as a leader in innovation & technology, deepen customer relationships, and have a dominating brand presence across the city. In that effort, Octagon has helped Mastercard plan All-Star Game fan engagement events on-site at Progressive Field and throughout Cleveland, to further promote Mastercard contactless payments. As part of the program, Octagon has helped Progressive Field become contactless payment enabled, so Mastercard customers and fans can tap and go at all concession stands during the All Star Game and at future events held at the stadium.
BANK OF AMERICA
To celebrate the 2019 MLB All Star Game, Bank of America (BofA) worked with Octagon to develop a number of activations on-site at MLB’s Play Ball Park fan zone, as well as throughout the city of Cleveland.
· Bank of America has partnered with former Cleveland Indians outfielder and six-time MLB All-Star Kenny Lofton, to promote BofA’s “Extras” program. Lofton will serve as an MLB ambassador for Bank of America during All-Star weekend, and will participate in media interviews and meet & greet opportunities with fans. During All-Star week, and throughout the remainder of the 2019 MLB season, BofA will leverage the drama of extra innings by offering BofA customers discounts on licensed merchandise at MLB.com every time their favorite team plays an extra inning game. In addition, BofA customers will have access to buy a collection of exclusive MLB T-shirts designed in collaboration with a player from each MLB team.
· Inside Play Ball Park, Bank of America will set up a classic pneumatic tube display, designed to deliver special premium giveaways to fans and BofA customers. Visitors at Play Ball Park will have the opportunity to select their favorite MLB team on a touch screen display monitor, and then see historic video highlights from their hometown ball club. While watching the video highlights, Bank of America will send the fan a surprise gift through the pneumatic tube.
· As part of Bank of America’s Affinity Card promotion, fans can also visit Bank of America’s baseball toss station at Play Ball Park, where they can compete in MLB All Star themed games and learn more about BofA’s 30 MLB Affinity Card credit cards.
Throughout All-Star Week, Octagon will help MGM Resorts provide exciting opportunities for fans to celebrate the All-Star Game and the 2019 MLB season. As an Official Partner of Major League Baseball, MGM Resorts will be at MLB’s Play Ball Park, highlighting MGM Resorts property portfolio as well as MGM’s new local property, MGM Northfield Park in Northfield, OH.
Events and activations at Play Ball Park include, MGM’s interactive mobile baseball game, photo opportunities including a GIF photo booth, and a “Guess the Number of Baseball Cards” contest, where fans can compete to win an exclusive experience at MGM Northfield Park. Fans will also have the opportunity to meet six-time MLB All Star, and former Cleveland Indians catcher, Sandy Alomar Jr..
MLB sponsor Doosan has worked with Octagon to build two on-site fan engagement activations at Major League Baseball’s Play Ball Park in Cleveland. Both footprints will feature heavy equipment machines from Doosan Infracrore.
The first activation footprint will feature Doosan’s DA30-5, an articulating dump truck that will be decked out in a “Heavy Metal” theme, to play off Doosan’s rock hard construction equipment and the overall music theme of the 2019 MLB All Star Week.
The second Doosan fan engagement footprint will house a Doosan DL280-5 wheel loader. Fans will be able guess the amount of official MLB baseballs that can fit into the bucket of the machine. The fan who guesses closest to the exact number will win a custom MLB jersey, tickets to any regular season game, and other official commemorative Doosan 2019 MLB All Star Game branded gifts.
In addition to Octagon Baseball clients Carlos Santana, Jorge Polanco, Gleyber Torres, Sandy Alcantara, and Wilson Contreras playing in the 2019 MLB All Star Game, Octagon represents a number of other baseball icons participating in events surrounding the midsummer classic.
As part of the 2019 All-Star Week festivities, Octagon client and Olympic gold medalist Jennie Finch once again partnered with Major League Baseball to host the 2nd annual Jennie Finch Classic, a youth softball tournament for Major League Baseball youth academies and their participants ages 14 to 17. Throughout the event, youth academy members had the opportunity to compete in games, participate in volunteer events, as well as attend Play Ball Park, the MLB Futures Game, Home Run Derby and more.
In addition, Finch took part in Major League Baseball’s All-Star Week celebrity softball game at Progressive Field, and will make several appearances for MLB sponsor Arm & Hammer, at their All-Star footprint at Play Ball Park.
About Octagon Sports and Entertainment Network:
The Octagon Sports and Entertainment Network, within the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG), encompasses industry leaders Octagon, FRUKT, ITB, Rogers & Cowan and Milkmoney. This formidable family of agencies specializes in sports, entertainment and lifestyle marketing and public relations for brands, athletes and celebrities.