Octagon North America CMO Lou Kovacs Shares New Endemics Predictions for 2018Thought Leadership, Digital, CES
Lou Kovacs, North America CMO
I am excited to be heading to CES this week to see the speakers and activities within the Sports Zone, where our partners at Sports Innovation Lab have built an exciting lineup of speakers and discussions for 1/9 and 1/12 that you can check out here. I will be on the ground at #CES all day on Jan. 9 and will be keeping a close eye on the evolution of the New Endemics – technology-led companies that are transforming the sports experience. In particular, I’ll be examining how the New Endemics are impacting the fan experience in four key areas – Smart Stadiums, Fan-Led Content, Disruptive Media and Quantified Athletes.
In the meantime, here are my Top 5 #NewEndemics Predictions for 2018:
- Marketers, rights holders and media companies will continue to see the rise of the new endemics, particularly with global showcases like the Olympics and FIFA World Cup on the calendar.
- Customization will be a key experiential and consumption trend for 2018, and will continue to give fans more power to choose how, when and where they consume content particularly through new media platforms and new athlete performance data streams.
- The creation of more highly personalized experiences particularly via smart stadiums and technology that enables fans to create and publish their own fan-led content will be more visible across both big and small sports moments.
- 2018 will be the year of 1+1=3. We have only seen the beginning of traditional brands partnering with new endemics in order to provide more engaging fan experiences and content. Why will we see more of this trend? Both parties benefit in these relationships – traditional sponsors gain a new tactic or channel to reach consumers, and the emerging tech-based companies gain credibility and scale.
- The new endemics have a new playbook, and they aren’t afraid to use it. We will see more new endemics support the start-up of new leagues, events and content channels to showcase their product without the barriers